Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908 when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother at a church in West Virginia. She then campaigned Congress to recognize the second Sunday in May as a national holiday celebrating all mothers, because, a mother is “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world.”
Although Jarvis was eventually successful in her mission, she ironically came to resent the very holiday she had created. Jarvis disliked how commercialized the holiday became. She wanted people to honor and appreciate their mothers with love and gratitude, not with pre-made cards and expensive gifts.
The takeaway from that holiday history lesson is you don’t (and shouldn’t) need to spend a fortune to show your mom how much she means to you.
Get back to the original meaning of Mother’s Day with these heartwarming DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas that won’t break the bank.
DIY Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Cook a special meal – It could be a picnic lunch, fancy dinner, or breakfast in bed.
- Do all the dishes for the day – What’s better than cooking her a meal? Washing all the dirty dishes for her!
- Get all the moms in your life together – Your mom, grandmas, aunts, and mother-in-law. The more moms the merrier!
- Go on an adventure – Take a scenic hike or bike ride. Surprise her by leading her to a place that’s special to her.
- Make a photobook, slideshow, video, or framed picture – Put together some family photos or videos so she can enjoy happy memories every time she looks at your gift.
- Make her a homemade card – Write what you feel in your own writing. Maybe even draw her a picture. It doesn’t matter how pretty it is! At least it isn’t generic.
- Help setup her DVR, MP3 player, computer, or cell phone – If your mom is anything like mine, she will appreciate any technology tips or help you can offer. Maybe there’s an app or program you know of that she would love.
- Vacuum/mop her entire house – She might do this when no one else will, but it doesn’t mean she enjoys it. Give her a break from cleaning!
- Clean her jewelry – All this one takes is baking soda, vinegar, water, and elbow grease.
- Wash and dry her laundry – Let’s be honest, there’s a good chance you wouldn’t even know how to do laundry without her. With Clean Laundry’s large and affordable equipment, this thoughtful gift is both easy and affordable.
Do you have any great DIY Mother’s Day gift ideas? Share them in the comments below!
It’s About Time,